The Pioneer Plaza is Ballinger’s award-winning Bicentennial project. The Pioneer Plaza is located downtown Ballinger across the street from the Town Square and Runnels County Court House. The Plaza offers a refreshing stop for a tourist. The Plaza has benches, trees, Gazebo, and a lighted fountain. The Plaza was made possible by donors whose names are on display. The 1907 Star Tobacco Sign was discovered in 1979 when the plaster was removed the building next to the Plaza. It has been restored to a remarkable replica of the original of the 1907 era. The fountain has undergone reconstruction in the last couple of years with a final update in the spring of 2019.